Sunday, May 24, 2015

Slow Sunday Stitching

The longer I've been quilting, the more I find myself wanting to personalize my projects. I want to try something new, or add in some extra elements. You probably noticed that happening with my latest scrap squad quilt. It's hard for me to follow a pattern, and not think "what would happen if I....?"

Sometimes it's a bit more of a challenge than I bargained for!
I wanted to change two of my Life is Beautiful blocks. It didn't make sense to  have a saying starting with 'life is a flower...' combined with a fish design, so I thought I would switch the text on these two blocks. Sounds like a good idea, right?!?

So I cut the patterns apart, switched the centres, and tried to iron the newly constructed block patterns. However, the tape I used to put the new blocks together... guess what.. it melted onto my iron! DUH! 
Of course it melted! 
What was I thinking?!?!
So I had to stop ironing the transfer, and ended up having to retrace the patterns with a frixion pen. The fish has been retraced, and is ready to begin stitching today. The creative idea was good, but the technique... not so much!


What are you working on for Slow Sunday Stitching? If you are enjoying a project that involves a needle in your hand, link up your blog post below and share your progress.






13 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Glad those kinds of things happen to others too! Glad you were able to figure it out and can now enjoy the sttiching.

The Cozy Quilter said...

When I was making quilts from my FIL's shirts, one of the shirts melted and stuck to the iron as I pressed the block....what a mess! The fabric was red, of course so the iron, ironing board and the surrounding fabrics all had red goo on them. Needless to say, the red shirt did not make it into the quilts! Happy stitching to you.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Uh oh a mess ! Glad you were able to work it out in the end :)

Quilting Stories said...

Thank you for the party!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

enjoy your stitching, I will make the final two stars today for this quilt.

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

Love the switch you made, even though the iron got a little messy. It will turn out great.

cajunquilter said...

Kathy, you may already know, but in case you don't, the easiest way to clean your iron is to use a magic eraser. Wet it and squeeze out excess water, then "iron" the eraser. Push harder than you think you need to and go back and forth, turning the eraser over when you need to and rewetting if needed. I had to do this yesterday after daughter ironed a transfer on to my grandson's shirt for his party. It has not hurt the finish on my iron and I have had to do it a few times over the years.

Kaja said...

I like the idea of switching things around, even if it did lead you into a mess!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Good call to switch up the blocks--it makes a lot more sense! I took a class last fall from Karen K. Stone and we needed to use tape for some of our blocks. She specified Scotch Magic Tape and I didn't have any melting problems at all--just in case you need to do some more switching--lol!

Scrapatches said...

Slow stitching along today. Thanks for hosting ... :) Pat

Deanna W said...

I guess you are allowed a "brain fart" now and than!!! At least the transfer wasn't totally ruined and you could still trace the picture!

Julierose said...

I think my pomegranate got entered--hugs, Julierose

Kate said...

Everyone has a mis-step occasionally. Thankful you recovered nicely from that one.