Sunday, August 16, 2015

Slow Sunday Stitching - Long Term

This week I am working again on some pumpkin seed blocks. I've been making these blocks for a couple of years now, and this is one of the first long term quilting projects that I started.  Stitching more seeds has led me to thinking about what it takes to actually complete a long term project. Do you have it in you to finish a project you have been committed to for a long time?
140 seed blocks = 35 quilt blocks
I think hand stitchers are generally a more patient sub group of the population, and therefore more likely to finish a long term project. We understand that things of value take time. 
Lots of time. 
We are willing to put in that time, holding on to the belief that all the effort will be worth it in the end. And we learn to trust our own creative process along the way. This quilt has taught me a lot already. But I must say that my enthusiasm is waning, and every time I add a block, new ideas bubble up for the layout and for the quilting. 

I work on these blocks a little bit each month, and the structure of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge has really helped me to stay organized. Each month I sort scraps and make a few more blocks in the colour of the month. I have no idea why the orange and yellow months are so poorly represented in my layout!?! Anyway, last month was red, so the red blocks are done for now. And I finished one dark/indigo block so far in August.  
Today I will be cutting more seed/melon shapes from dark blue scraps, while I reflect more about the stages of long term projects, and why I so easily take on these creative commitments, which leads to having such a lengthy UFO list!
What are your thoughts hand stitchers? What are you working on today? Link up your blog post below and share your hand stitching project with us.




20 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This has really grown ...such a pretty project for hand stitching and the rainbow project :)

Created by Kathi said...

My queen sized (seems larger though!) colorful wholecloth is my long term project I think... about 1/4 done after 6 months since I started on it... currently it lives on the back of a chair waiting for my fingers to adore it some more and add more stitches! I had hoped to have it finished by Christmas... but now I am shooting for NEXT Christmas! lol
I love your orange peels... enjoy the journey I say! And I think overall hand quilters/piecers are a more relaxed group of folks... or we just like keeping our hands busy! lol
Have a blessed slow stitching day! I have computer issues so no blog post for me this weekend... I am slow stitching a memory quilt for a friend and making nice progress today :)
Kathi

scraphappy said...

Quilters are patient in general, and I do think that hand stitchers are more patient still. This is such a lovely project, I hope your enthusiasm will carry you through.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Thank you for doing this link up each week. It makes me slow down to sit and do some hand stitching each week. I really need that right now! I love your seeds...I agree that more yellow and some orange seeds will look great!

CathieJ said...

I have only a few long term projects. My longest was my first quilt (queen-sized) that took me almost 20 years to hand quilt. Not my brightest move, but I did finish it and use it. I have a crewel calendar that took me 3 years to complete. I got married in the interim. Currently, I only have one really long term project in progress and that is a large cross-stitch that I have been working on for over a year. It is not quite at the halfway point yet. I am committed to finishing all of my projects. I just need a few smaller ones to keep me going. I love your pumpkin seeds. I enjoy watching the colors emerge. Thanks for hosting the link-up.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love all the colors you are using. I will be adding embroidery detail to my Love Entwined quilt and taking some stitches at the frame.

Cathy said...

Yes, lots of long term projects and UFOs at my house!!

Deb A said...

Too many long term and UFO's on my list. I tell myself I have a few long term (hand work) projects so I can choose which one I am in the mood for! Hehehe.

Julierose said...

Hi Kathy--YAY--I think I got it right this time??? I am so excited to start quilting Mom's Poms....
I love how your pumpkin seeds are coming together. I have a die to cut some so will be cuttin' away all this week...hugs and happy Sunday Julierose

Juliann in WA said...

I am starting a new quilt and decided that the first round needs to be hand stitched. I know I will get a more accurate center block and it IS worth the time.

TakeMeThereTotes said...

I am making Green Tea and Sweet Beans and there are a few Orange Peel squares in this pattern. I have made three and about to start the fourth. They are fun and I can see making more of these blocks in the future. I enjoy your Slow Sunday Stitching blogs. Thank you for hosting this every week. Quilting does create mindful attributes of patience and meditation . I agree with your thoughts.

Jennie in GA said...

Responded to your thoughts on my blog. Love that you share your pondering a with us.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I remember making my first quilt thinking oh boy this will never get finished. Now, its more about how I want to make the quilt. One of the reasons I don't like borders on quilts I think they are often used just to get it finished so the quilter can move on to the next project. For me it is more about how the quilt will look when it is finished, I want something that makes me smile!!!!!

Ivani said...

The rainbow layout is beautiful. How many punpking seeds for finishing it? As for me I am only making and joining the rosetas I really don't know how many more will be necessary to get it done. Have a great sunday!

Angie said...

I love seeing all your Orange Peel blocks together! You & Deb inspired me to add the Orange Peel to my bucket list, although I have yet to make a start!

Nell's Quilts said...

The pumpkin seeds are so relaxing to make. I recall you posting that it was your foray into applique. How many of those little seeds have you made? Slow and steady and it all gets done. And who said it has to be a full size quilt. A cute runner or table topper is good too. It will be a beautiful piece whatever the size when done.

Nell's Quilts said...

Oops didn't read very well - 35 blocks or 140 seeds. You did tell us.

Kevin the Quilter said...

I cant say that I do much by hand......but, I do have long term projects, and for me, I think of it as a novel or a short story. You sometimes get into a novel and can't put it down, and then some chapters are longer, and harder to understand. Where as a short story is straight to the point usually. That is the way I feel about many of my projects.

Sheila said...

Those pumpkin seed blocks are looking good all together.
I've done long term quilt top projects, most often during the RSC year(s). Made blocks each month.

audrey said...

So true that slow stitching helps us to trust our creative process. Your seeds are looking wonderful!