Sunday, September 20, 2015

Slow Sunday Stitching - Abscission



Fall is my favourite season and I like to be outside as much as possible to soak up the sensory pleasures of the season. I love the sound of the rustling leaves that crunch when you walk on them, the sight of the beautiful gold, orange and red fall colours, and the smell of the decaying leaves in the forest. 
If you like to collect fun words, here's a good one for you - abscission. This is the process by which trees let go of their leaves. That's right... they just let them drop off. 

It's a good reminder to us to do the same - to discard that which no longer serves us. 
Just let it go. Loosen that grip, and stop clinging to what we think we need.

Of course, it's easier said than done!


Have you ever tried a butterfly release? I just happened to get a butterfly that was reluctant to let go. It just clung on to my finger. 
We bonded. We talked... mostly it was me doing the talking ;)
I briefly considered stuffing that beautiful creature in my pocket and taking it home. But I didn't. I waited patiently, explaining about the wonderful adventure waiting just beyond those trees.
And then, just like that, it let go and flew away.
Mission accomplished.

Today I will be slow stitching outside, enjoying the beautiful fall weather while I put a few more stitches in this embroidery block. I will be thinking about abscission and what needs to fall away.   


What are you hand stitching today? 
Link up your blog post below and share your progress with us. 






21 comments:

CathieJ said...

What a beautiful place to be stitching. Such a pretty butterfly. It stayed with you to make you slow down and appreciate. Thanks for hosting the link-up.

Kate said...

Beautiful place to stitch. I love the fall foliage, unfortunately my sinuses don't. So being outside is hard this time of year. Enjoy your slow stitching.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That's a new word to me and how wonderful to have the butterfly land and stay with you for awhile! :)

The Cozy Quilter said...

I agree that we all need to be a bit more like the trees in the fall sometimes. I love the fall too. I hope to have some time to ago for a walk in the woods when the colours are changing. Have fun stitching today.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That's a new word to me and how wonderful to have the butterfly land and stay with you for awhile! :)

Ellen said...

I love fall too! Wonderful post....we can learn a lot from nature if we just pay attention.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Truly an excellent post! Love today's focal word - must use it a few times so it sticks in my memory. Thank you.

SandraC said...

Kathy, what a truly lovely post. You definitely have a beautiful way with words and on a bit of a lousy morning you gave me a sense of peaceful calm. Thanks :)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I didn't know there was a word for trees letting go of their leaves. My word for adding them is applique. LOL It doesn't get better than nature. You brought back some childhood memories, thanks!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely post today. Fall is my favorite season.

moosecraft said...

Abscission is a GREAT word! Life would be so simple if we would all just learn to prioritize.... priority for today is to relax and enjoy some peace! :-) Happy Sunday!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I learned a new word today! Stitching outside sounds like a good plan!

Turid said...

A beautiful butterfly. I collect them and talk to them every day. Then I take a photo of them, and they can fly away again.

Suzanne said...

I just love your post today. I need to let things, both good and bad, go.,,.just let it go! Thanks for the great reminder!

Ivani said...

Enjoy your day outside near the nature. Great place to make some slow stitching, That Monarch butterfly is beautiful. Interisting the Butterfly release weekends I hasn't knew that butterflies migrate from Canada to Mexico. Today I learned. So let's try practicing abscission. Have a wonderful week Kathy. Hugs

Julierose said...

Oh Fall is my favorite Season too; I have slowed down on all of my projects--spent my afternoon reading on our deck....hugs, Julierose

Jeanna said...

Thanks for the new word and how appropriate for this time of year. I enjoyed your butterfly story.

We just returned home from visiting our daughter at college so I am doing laundry, no stitching. However, I do enjoy seeing what everyone else is up to.

Stephie said...

Such a beautiful post Kathy :) And a very beautiful butterfly too! I'm in heaven at this time of year too - I just love the change in colours, the scents in the air, the mist... bliss. I hope you have some glorious autumn days this coming week x

Jennie in GA said...

Nice to slow down, stitch and think about your post.

Threeundertwo said...

Abscission is totally in my vocabulary now. Thanks for hosting!

KaHolly said...

Love new words! Especially nature related! Marcescent is just the opposite! It's when trees retaine their leaves, like the birch tree, protecting the little petiole where the new leaves grow, from winter's cold. This is a delightful post. Love your communion with the Monarch. Great lessons are learned from observing nature.