Sunday, July 13, 2008

A little tiny finish

In the spring I ordered these treats from Bird Brain Designs as an easter present for myself. I haven't tried the perle floss yet - I'm still a DMC user! I promise to try it on my next project and see how it works. I first saw Darlene's completed sampler on her blog called Quilting Daze and loved it. I stitched a small block of the Easter Sampler design for a hand stitching demo and it has been sitting patiently waiting for me to do something with it. This photo is a little yellowish, but here is the hand stitching completed.
I decided to make one of my favorite paper pieced patterns for the border. It's just a simple design, but I really enjoy sewing it. I taught this as a class in the fall, but I don't see any photos of it on my blog - hmmm, don't know if I forgot to post those? I'll look for those photos and post them tomorrow if I find them.
Anyway, here is a photo of trying to figure out what the size of the border should be and how many spikes I will need in the pattern. It looks much bigger in these photos than it really is...the finished size is just a bit bigger than 6" square! Once I figured out the math, I strip paper pieced the border pieces, sewed them on the block, and then machine quilted. I stippled the background, and stitched in the ditch around the border spikes.
Then I thought I'd try a new binding technique that I learned from Anne Morrell Robinson at Quilt Canada. I wish I would have taken a photo to remind me how to do it, because here is how my first attempts looked! That's not going to work! I eventually remembered how to do it correctly, and was happy with how the corners layed flat.
So here is the finished project...anybody have an idea for a name for this little cutie????!?!





8 comments:

Darlene said...

Very sweet, indeed! I made the entire Easter Sampler in the Spring but needs to be "finished".

Libby said...

What a fun little project. I think you are going to enjoy the Perle cotton. I particularly enjoy using it for hand quilting when using a big stitch.

Andrea said...

I am absolutely useless at naming quilts - lol ! This is lovely - I'm tending to want to do more small things lately. I have half a chance at getting them finished then. :-)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

that may be a tiny finish - but it sure looks like it was a lot of work! Great job

Sweet P said...

What an adorable little project. The name that popped into my head was "Spring Fling".

Karen said...

The border really does justice to your stitchery. Very, very nice.

Margeeth said...

Hi Kathy,

Your flowers look adorable. The colors of the border remind me of autumn, so something with autumn in it?

ShinyNewThing said...

Love the embroidery! I hope you don't mind but I have tagged you again, this time for an award. Details are on my blog.
best wishes, Sharon