Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Scrappy Flying Geese

The weather here has been anything but summery...cool and rainy most of the time. It has been too cold to swim in the lake and too wet to want to go camping. However some of my flowers seem to be thriving in this strange weather. Here is my clematis that has climbed even higher than my 6 ft. fence. 
I have been doing some machine quilting and will update my progress on DD later in the week. But to give my hands and wrists a break in between quilting, I have been making great progress on my scrappy flying
 geese project. I started working on the bag of scraps given to me by my friend Liz when I was at quilt retreat in February.  
Here is a photo of the stages...a triangle scrap sewn into a HST, trimmed, then sewn with a matching friend to be a flying geese unit. I had many hours of fun matching up the flying geese units. This is the photo on my blog header. 
Once the flying geese were sewn into sets of 3 they went into storage in these recycled spinach boxes. Then I sewed the sets of 3 blocks into rows. This week I sewed all the rows together with beige sashing. I was going to make this for a donation quilt but 
I am afraid that I have fallen in love with it and don't want to give it away now! I am thinking about ideas for possible borders...maybe just a striped fabric, or scrappy pieced borders. What do you think?

12 comments:

Rose Marie said...

This is stunning .... but what about a plain border to give the eye a place to rest?

Darlene said...

Oh Kathy - I love it! You must keep this sweet one. I think a plain border would be best - I agree with Rose Marie - a place for the eye to rest.

Brenda said...

lovely, lovely, lovely in its scrappiness. I'm with the others -- I would choose a light neutral like the background of the flying geese so the geese are floating--er--flying in the middle of the quilt. you could even sneak some into the border here or there.

Anonymous said...

Oh....it is a keeper...couldn't part with it myself. If not a plain border and you want to keep scrappy...maybe a thin inner border with piano key outer border.

Maya Madhavan said...

It is gorgeous! How about a light neutral border followed by a black/dark border to sort of frame it, followed another light neutral border and a colourful binding? :)

The Calico Cat said...

I like the idea od using the sashing fabric for the border, with a touch of applique... (Just to give it a bit of color.) I can also see scrappy binding.

Diana LaMarre said...

Very pretty quilt, Kathy.

What a great use for the spinach containers.

Just last week I was thinking there must be something I could do with that big piece of clear plastic from my prewashed spinach. I couldn't think of anything so I tossed it. Next time I will remember this post. Thanks for sharing.

scraphappy said...

What a great quilt from just HST blocks. I may be inspired to get my bag of bonus triangles out and play some more. Putting two geese back to back to make a diamond would add an interesting shape for a border without adding a new block.

Jean said...

Wow...that is awesome!!!! That is a lot of flying geese! I say stripes of dots for the border.

Tanya said...

Oh, that is so gorgeous!!! Keep it! Or give it away to someone you love so you can see the tears in their eyes when they receive it! It is wonderful!

SueR said...

I love the bright colors in your flying geese, so cheerful. Good stashbuster too. Bonnie Hunter has done some scrappy borders with her busy scrap quilts, but I think I like the plain border better too.

Unknown said...

I just find your blog over this past weekend and just love it. I am so intrigued by the hst but cant figure out how they are made. Well I can see how they are made but can't figure out where the white quarter inch on top of the triangle point came from. I am playing with a ton of half square triangles my sister-in-law gave me and tried to do i like the picture. No luck! Can you please help? Thank you, Lynn