Monday, November 02, 2009

Split Decision


On my design wall and waiting for me to add the label, is my newest mini quilt called "Mini Split".   It is 8" square and just adorable if I do say so myself!  These blocks used up lots of 1" scraps leftover from my QFAH project which I showed last Monday. The binding was pieced from 5 small scraps and I was thinking at that point that I was being ridiculous,  since I have hundreds of metres of fabric in my stash and there I was cobbling together a binding from the garbage! But I really liked the striped fabric and there wasn't much left of it.
I am totally enamored with this block design by Deirdre Brown called Split Decision - you can see her pattern here. 
It is typical for me to make several quilts using the same design in different sizes until I get sick of it or become enamored with a different block. Here are the large size blocks that a group of my quilting friends made. We each pieced 25 blocks,  then divided them up and each sewed a few rows together. Here are the 3 rows that I sewed together. 
Stop by Judy's blog and see what other quilters have on their design walls.

14 comments:

SpinningStar said...

It is funny how we all have these boxes and shelves full of fabric and we are still concerned about using up our scraps.... Our quilting ancestors would be proud of our using everything to the last inch....

Liz

swooze said...

I have a couple quilts planned from this pattern. The next QFAH starts today doesn't it? Do you have time to make it? LOL!

Millie said...

I love this pattern and the scrappy look of the second quilt. It is funny how we have boxes full of fabric, but then it is so hard to stay away from the quilt shops or the web.

Gina said...

Great mini quilt. I do like the look of that block

Love an dhugs Gina xxx

Karen said...

Split Decision looks like an easy pattern with a dynamic look.

Loretta said...

I really like this quilt. Really niced.

Jean said...

Very cute mini....I like this pattern too and will have to try it sometime.

Marla said...

I love this! I too have had the same thought as I trim 1 1/2" half square triangles. I have a ton of fabric and I'm, as you say, cobbling together garbage!!! WE DO have a sickness!LOL!!!

Jeanne said...

Oh, it's a keeper! Looks like Jo Morton fabrics in that little one. Love it!

sewnut said...

Do you realize how crazy this makes me. I need to save any piece of fabric that is 1" or larger and I am just as helpless at not purchasing yardage.

What I need is the time to play with it all!
PS I really like the mini!

Sølvis blog said...

What a beautiful mini. Guess I will have to give this pattern a try.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Very cute little mini split! I enjoy playing with the little leftovers too. ;-)

Libby said...

What a great quilt design - looks like a lot of fun to play with *s*

Rhonda said...

Your quilt is very interesting. I love the colors and the illusion. Great job. I've just finished the quilt that was on my design board. It was a personalized applique' quilt for a friend.