Monday, March 29, 2010

Design Wall Monday #13

This week I have a brand new project to show!
I signed myself and my sister up for a mystery quilt class on Friday night at Reichards. This was her first quilting class ever and she was very excited. This is the fabric kit we each received...everything all pre-cut and organized for us, which is a real treat for all students, but especially for my sister who is new to quilting.
Here is our wonderful teacher Deb Beirnes, just back from a teaching engagement in British Columbia! And beside her is the quilt that we could make from the kit. The pattern is called Buzz Saw and there was enough fabric in our kits to make 12 blocks, plus the border and a scrappy binding. But of course I want to make mine bigger, so I am digging through my stash to find fabrics to add.
Here is my design wall today.
Aren't the pastel colours springy and perfect for playing with the week before Easter?!?!
I am thinking about making each buzz saw block from the same colour and am now auditioning fabrics. The blocks that are already sewn were the ones I made at the class, and the hunks of fabric pinned on the wall are "maybes" - fabrics to complete some of the partial blocks and to make new blocks. I can see on the computer screen that the purple is way too dark and I'll take that one out. I think I can happily add in the peach, the light purple and the blue. Any other suggestions?
I made this same design last year at retreat (you can see that one by clicking here) and it is a really fun block to sew. Annie's quilt was the first Buzz Saw I found and admired in Blogland. Then I saw Julie's - click here and she gave photo instruction and the link to the pattern in this blog post. And here is another one that Suze made - click here to see hers.
 Why don't you make one too?
If you want to see what other quilters are working on this week, go to Judy's blog and surf the great quilt blogs on her list.

14 comments:

Diane said...

That is a great springy quilt and how fun for you that your sister is making one too. You are lucky to have each other to share quilting with.

julieQ said...

OH, looks wonderful Kathy!! Love you buzz saw!

Laurie said...

What a neat thing for a teacher to do. Unfortunatly most of your pictures are not showing up in blogger....I can see the pack of fabric the teacher gave you. I don't think it's you all over the blogs I've looked at today the pictures are missing. I was able to look at buzzsaw though and it is a neat pattern.

Sweet P said...

That is a great quilt to work on at Easter time.

Edna said...

Love this pattern! Thanks so much for posting the link to the tutorial. I also love the batik version you made last year... its gorgeous!

Barb in Mi said...

What a great way to learn how to quilt! And the colors are just right for spring and Easter!

Ivani said...

Love the Buzz saw block. Thanks for the tutorial link. Hope your sister enjoy the classes, remember to show us her quilt when done.
Hugs,
Ivani

Suze said...

I made a Buzzsaw quilt also. I used asian or oriental print for mine. You can see it here: http://fabricribbonandyarn.blogspot.com/2010/03/housewarming-gift.html

scrappy nanna said...

Pictures are working now...I love Deb Biernes work. I met her when they featured her at the mennonite church one may. Love her scrappy quilts.This one is very spring like and makes you think of the flowers that might bloom soon...or in a month or two at my house....

Tracy P said...

Your quilt is turning out great! I agree with you that one purple is to dark though.

Rose Marie said...

Love the springy colours and the other fabrics you have (except for that dark purple) are perfect and you will end up with a larger quilt now and still keep the overall look. Did your sister have fun and will you be showing us what she did?

Karen said...

Very springy. I love it! I visit Reichard, when I am up that way, every couple of years. It is a very nice shop.

Mary Johnson said...

I didn't realize those were made like a Majestic Mountain block, with the addition of the solid strip. Your colors are very spring like.

Greenmare said...

these are fun blocks!!! isn't it amazing how you can see the values more when you take a picture?