Sunday, November 28, 2010

Indian Orange Peel

I named this "quilt blogging week" because I had so much to write about, but I am sad to say that I didn't meet my goal :(
Why?
Because I was too busy doing too much, and I didn't even have the time or energy to write about it!
Take yesterday for example...
I was invited by Gail, whom I met through her quilt blog (The Cozy Quilter), to attend an Indian Orange Peel class taught by Heather Stewart. Who could say no?!? Certainly not me, because we all know about the problem that I have, which is called "starting new quilts"! This is the sample quilt that the teacher made and there are 2,621 pieces of fabric in those blocks! 
So I gathered up some of my batik fabrics - we need 125 Fat Quarteres that cover the light to dark range of the 12 colours...clearly I am missing quite a few and need to go shopping! 
In the morning we received instruction in colour theory and analysis of our stash collections to see what we needed to shop for in order to make it the best quilt we can, since we will be spending quite a few years hours making this thing and it needs to turn out good! In the afternoon we learned about sewing the centre 4 patch blocks, made the templates, and started sewing the arcs. Here is a photo of Heather demonstrating how the blocks will be organized.
I was so exhausted when I got home that I just had to have a nap...all that thinking and driving wore me out! By the time I woke up, Gail had already blogged about the day - click here. You can see some of my arcs started in the photo with the rotary cutter.  I'd show you myself, but I have "quilt class hangover" and must admit that I haven't even unpacked my workshop bags yet! 
Thanks to Gail for organizing a great workshop and inviting me along for the fun. Now I just have to paper piece 120 arcs for the next class in March!
Come back tomorrow and see the new quilt I started on Friday night...if I can find it!!

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

I know the feeling, Kathy. Our minds want to do way more than our bodies can produce in a given time. I'm sure your quilt will be gorgeous!

Toni said...

WOW! I bet this is a great class and I can NOT wait to see what yours looks like!

Ya know you can pre-post your posts - that is what I have to do otherwise I just forget :)

We'll start fresh again this week Kathy! :)

Louise M said...

Oh the IOP....When you are finally finished the top you'll have an A HA moment. We started a class on May 20, 2010 and I finished on Oct 17, 2010 at 12:45 pm and it was like a BIG A HA....Inch by inch it's a cinch. Have fun learning a great technique and enjoy:)

Unknown said...

Quilt Class Hangover - I am sure I will have a very bad case myself after my Judy Niemeyer class on Thursday! You are such a hoot! I am looking forward to watching your progress on this quilt . . .

Diane said...

Oh I understand, sometimes you need a little time for the brain to digest the new info. I'm drooling over the orange peel sample and can't wait to see yours progressing. 125 FQ---WOW!

Karen said...

I have admired this pattern for years. Even owned the pattern more than once, I think. Never made it though. I think it is paper pieced, isn't it?

Jacqui's Quilts said...

LOL Kathy!!!!! Love your blog post. I haven't even done a blog post on it yet either and I also haven't unpacked my bags from the class and it's now Tuesday LOL. However, I am having a riot playing with colour! Hopefully, the planned retreat will work out and we'll all have a great boost sewing arcs like maniacs!! I'll keep you posted :-).