Saturday, April 30, 2011

Scrappy Saturday - Purple

The sun has finally come out and it is 15 degrees today. You would think that everyone had been forced to leave their homes - everyone is out walking, raking lawns, and driving to the local nurseries to buy garden seeds and flowers. It has been a really long winter!
This week I have been putzing around in the quilting room, not really accomplishing much it seems. One evening I went over to Judy's house to cut 75 fabric kits for the Mennonite Relief Quilt Auction.  (To see some of the fabulous quilts that will be for sale - click here.)  These kits will be sold at the auction in May, and the blocks will be collected to make into a quilt for next year's auction. To see the basket quilt they auctioned last year (from the kits sold in 2009) click here. The theme for this quilt is flowers, so I am contemplating trying out my new applique skills.
This week I've been mostly preoccupied with the royal wedding.  I got up at 5 am on Friday and searched until I found a TV channel with no talking and no commercials, just watching the events as they occurred in real time. I was delighted that my daughter got up with me and we enjoyed every bit of the coverage. My maternal grandmother was born in England and her family emigrated to Canada when she was a child, so perhaps that explains why I have been captivated by the whole thing?
I did not accomplish as much this month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I really wanted to work on this UFO, but didn't pick it up all month.  I sewed a couple of purple words for my virtues quilt and a few purple blocks were made for my crumb quilt. This week I sewed a purple border around some very colourful blocks donated to the guild comfort quilt project, so now it's ready to quilt.
But I didn't really put much of a dent in my purple scraps :(
However, the month is over now and it's time to move on to a new colour...what will it be? You have to check out the scrappy blog tomorrow to find out.

5 comments:

Quilting By Celia said...

I like your quilt... I only managed to make 3 purple crumb blocks for the Challenge ...

Kate said...

I like your Purple Crumb quilt, very bright! Maybe you don't feel like you got much done, but hopefully your efforts are setting the stage to get more done later.

Stitched With Prayer said...

I love your quilt. Of course purple has been my favorite color for as long as I can remember. (of course, at 61, occasionally I don't remember to much, *wink*) All the same, your purple quilt is really wonderful, so colorful and cheerful. I need to get more purple added to my stash. Hugs...

The Quilting Elf said...

Purple words, hearts, crumbs, borders, etc. ... and you say you didn't get to dent the stash - LOL - you're no slacker! You did great and then did 75 kits for the auction to boot. Great job.

Ellen said...

I think you did great - I really love the purple crumb blocks and your donation quilt top looks great with the purple borders.