Monday, September 05, 2011

Design Wall Monday #33

It was almost a year ago when I started cutting up old scraps for a quilt and posted some photos here. A month ago I was struggling with layout options (click here to see them) and for the last two weeks I have been sewing the rows together.
And this is the result:
I sewed dark half blocks on both sides, and made a framing dark row on the top and bottom. It was totally relaxing to sew and came together so easily. Now I want to cut more scraps and make another one in the random layout!
Next decision with this project is...does it need a border or not???
Hop over to Patchwork Times to see the decisions that other quilters are pondering!

12 comments:

Mary said...

Of course! Just a framing one. Pick any color in it!

Ellen said...

It turned out great - I really like the light fabrics that you used.

Becky said...

Yes to a final border! Love the look of this. My eyes keep shifting from light prominent to dark prominent. Way to go!

Cathy said...

Yes, I think it needs a border, or 2. see a narrow light, and then a wider dark, just to carry out the light and dark repetition to the outer edges of the quilt.

Libby said...

I am in love!

AnnieO said...

Looks terrific but yes I think a border would reinforce the half-blocks and make a good "stop".

Janet O. said...

I know I voted for the random design, but this turned out really well. I am a border person and I think it would look good with it, but what you have done with the half hexes is essentially serving as a border and would be enough if you don't want to add more, IMHO. : )

Bonnie said...

Nice job on getting your hexie top together. I like the layout. I'm a border (or two) person so of course I'm voting for borders.

Love the look of that book from previous post -- haven't seen it. And cute earrings... But I really like your letters. The fabric provides infinite possibilities when making up your letters. Nice job! And, what are the plans for when you finish the alphabet? Is this using Tonya's letters? I need to buy that book as I love her halloween word quilt.

No design wall Monday for me -- just nothing new on the design wall -- barely sewed last week. Sigh. And, not much going to happen this week. Oh well.

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

Love this quilt! Border depends on if you want it a bigger size or not. I think it looks great as is:)

Denise :) said...

The alternating light and dark rows make this. You did a great job! :)

scraphappy said...

The dark colored half blocks make a nice border on the outside, but a solid strip might make it easier to quilt. All those seams on the outside might be tricky to deal with.

Khris said...

Looks terrific Kathy...love the Fandango range of fabric...hugs Khris