Thursday, September 08, 2011

Lil' Twister Back

LuAnn asked some questions about the free motion quilting design on my Lil' Twister tablerunner, so I thought other people might have the same questions.
I used a continuous line free motion design that I first practiced on paper (as I always do) until I was confident that I knew how I would travel from block to block. I made the four hooked feathers in the pinwheel, and then travelled along the seam line to the next pinwheel. I quilted the pinwheels along the row, and at the end of the row, I moved down along the seam line to the next row. Maybe it helps to show the quilt from the back? 
And Janet made my day by commenting that she is encouraged not only to get going on her own Twister quilt, but is also going to take a class in machine quilting. Way to go! It's the best way to learn, and to be able to turn your pile of UFO's into finished quilts!

12 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing your approach. I have two twister wall hangings just waiting to be quilted. I think I'll try this on one of them where my attempt at this design won't show too much because of the pattern in the fabric. LOL

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I think I need to take a machine quilting class too. I like to hand quilt, but it takes so long. Your quilting looks great!

Janet O. said...

Kathy--I called and reserved my place in the class! It isn't until Sept. 30th and has another session on Oct. 7th. There is a more advanced class following, that I wanted to do as well, but I am not available at the scheduled times. Thanks for the encouragement.

scraphappy said...

The quilting looks great! It fits the block design perfectly and really adds to the finished look of the quilt. Great work on getting another quil finished!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Thanks for the info on how you freemotion quilted it. Looks perfect on the twister block! I'm about to make another twister and I might have to try quilting it like this.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Very cute Kathy! Love the way the quilting gives the twister blocks movement. :-)

Jeanne said...

Love your Lil Twister table runner! Your quilting is wonderful. Thank you for the close-up and info on how you did it. One of these days, I might just get brave enough to try it.

Thelma said...

Wonderful job on the whole project, but your quilting really sets it off. I've got to find my Lil Twister, I've got one somewhere around here.

LuAnn said...

I can see from this photo how you travelled from one pinwheel to the next. It is just beautiful. I do the same as you - keep drawing the design over and over on paper until I'm ready to quilt. I went back and looked at your original post, and it is very hard to see your travel lines. I'm anxious to give this a try. Thanks for doing the second post.

Bonnie said...

Kathy thanks for the info and great picture. I join all the rest in saying this was a great design for the lil twister pattern. Hum, I may need to try mine this way too. And, I've got the book too. I don't think I have the patience to practice something until I really have it down 100%. But, I know I get practice while doing it too. Thanks for sharing this . b.

Khris said...

Awesome quilting there Kathy...gosh its impressive...love it..hugs Khris

Candace said...

I'm so impressed with your quilting. I seem to be stuck on meandering, but at least the last three I've felt like were a bit improved.