Friday, September 16, 2011

September UFO

The UFO pulled for September is #11, which is a quilt top called Carnival made from a Flynn kit - click here to see it. It has been aging in my UFO closet for just over a year, while I considered the border decision. It was hard to pick a fabric, but I forced myself to decide since the deadline for finishing this quilt is exactly 2 weeks away! And since I already made over 300 decisions today judging at a local fall fair  (selecting 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners in over 100 categories) making 1 or 2 more decisions seemed very easy!


Part of the process of moving a project from being a UFO toward becoming a finished quilt is completing the "4 big B jobs" - Border, Backing, Binding, & Basting. I went ahead and bought the border and backing fabric, matching thread and some extra basting pins. The rust is the backing fabric and the multi colour batik is the border and binding, which I just finished preparing. 
Then I moved onto the border cutting and made a big mistake... I couldn't remember what size of strip I was cutting and I cut some strips 1" too small, and then didn't have enough fabric to recut the strips that were too small. Of course it was the end of a bolt purchase and I can't get more. So...the top and bottom borders are just going to be wider than the sides...such is life!!

7 comments:

Marge said...

Don't say anything and nobody will notice. Some of my biggest mistakes are just creative planning.
Marge

Debbie said...

And I love that border fabric...I would buy a whole bolt. I know it's frustrating when you make a cutting error like that because I've made that mistake too!

Laura said...

Love, love, love that border fabric! Good job finishing up another UFO.

Kristi said...

I am loving that pinkish fabric...very beautiful!! And I agree with what was said above....don't say anything and it will be lovely regardless!!! *smile*

Janet O. said...

I love that fabric, too. So just cut the wider borders an inch narrower and they will all be the same. : )

antique quilter said...

great fabric, so pretty.
you know what I bet you will still love the quilt,
an inch isn't a big deal!
Kathie

Ellen said...

Such a pretty quilt no-one would ever notice the size difference of the borders!