Thursday, March 01, 2012

February UFO

February's UFO is finished! At the beginning of this month, it was just a pile of blocks!
I really love this photo of the finished quilt that I took while visiting my cousin. It was really windy, so I am amazed that the photos turned out so well. My cousin thought I was crazy to venture outside to take a photo of this quilt, but she eventually pulled herself away from the wood stove, and came outside to join in the fun.



The backing is one big piece of multicoloured fabric with pieced strips of leftover blocks on the top and bottom. 
The quilting was done in straight lines with the walking foot and stitched 1/4" on both sides of each seam. I find it very boring to quilt all these lines, but I sure do like how the finished quilting looks.
While staying at my cousin's house, I thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful conversation which took place around me, as I hand stitched this yummy plaid binding. I hope that this quilt brings as much comfort and joy to someone, as my visit with my cousin brought to me!
To see all the other UFO's finished this month, hop over to Patchwork Times. Judy pulled UFO #8 for us to work on this month, so I'll have to go search for it in the closet!

26 comments:

Janet O. said...

Beautiful finish, Kathy! It looks so striking against the snowy backdrop. Your "boring" quilting is just right for the bold graphics of this quilt, and I love your binding, but I think I told you that last time. : )

Béa said...

Very beautiful, love it, back & front.

Sally Ann said...

Wonderful Job as usual Kathy!! I really love the colours! Awesome outside picture!!

The Cozy Quilter said...

You are doing very well at your monthly finishes! Can't wait to see March's project!

Ellen said...

It is gorgeous - whoever receives this quilt will have a happy heart!

Debbie said...

Gorgeous. It looks fabulous with the snow as the backdrop!

swooze said...

Love it. Very striking against the snow.

Teresa in Music City said...

A beautiful quilt made even more beautiful by picturing it in the snow!!! Congrats on a great finish!

M and M plus 3 said...

A beautiful finish to begin the month with, I love a plaid binding to slide into the finish.

Frog Quilter said...

Gorgeous quilt and fabulous picture of the quilt in the snow. Love it!!!

Cathy said...

It turned out wonderfully. Congrats on the finish. The quilting is a perfect compliment to it. And I love the backing!! Great job!!

Dresden Quilter said...

It is a gorgeous quilt. I love the colours!

AnnieO said...

Fantastic finish! Straight lines are not exciting to stitch but the graphic quality always enhances. Love it! The backing is wonderful and the "set" for the photograph a great foil to the bright quilt. Congrats!

Quiltdivajulie said...

FABULOUS photos of a wonderful quilt!!!

Marlene said...

Wonderful finish and what a great photo in the snow. The backing fabric is such a good choice-love it.

kwiltnkats said...

Magnificant Kathy. The quilting is perfect for it...even though it was boring...well worth it! The photo opportunity couldn't have been better. Such a contrast with Mother Nature. Sounds as if you had a wonderful time with your family. Sandi

Jennifer said...

LOVE. IT. i'll have to look at the pattern- and i'm always seeming to be drawn to these bright colors...

Merilyn said...

A really lovely quilt!! I love the contrast with the snowy background, it's a wonderful contrast!!!

Vivian said...

It's a real beauty, and such a bold, vibrant contrast against the snow.

Gotta admire that backing. It looks like the perfect choice for your quilt. Using up those little chunks is very cleansing, isn't it? I do it whenever I can.

Jo said...

Great photo! Love the blue and greens against the snow and your backing fabric is perfect! Love it

Michelle said...

Those colors look so gorgeous against the snowy landscape! Love your blue Quilt Square Quilt along blocks, too.

Becky said...

Love the photo of your quilt hanging in the wintry setting! Great job! Gorgeous colors

Happy Quilter said...

Kathy, the quilt is beautiful and I'm so glad you used the fabric and made it so wonderful. Give it so someone special.

Diane Kelsey said...

A wonderful quilt and a great backdrop for the photo.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Wow, I LOVE that picture of the quilt hanging on the line with that snowy background...beautiful!!

Andrea said...

Kathy, I simply LOVE this quilt...the colors and the design. And it totally rocks in the snowy setting. great picture composition!!!