Sunday, April 29, 2012

HST Collector

I LOVE Half Square Triangle blocks! I know many people refuse to sew them and I can understand that some methods of sewing (and trimming!) the HST's can be very tedious. But since Bonnie Hunter convinced me to try the Easy Angle ruler, I have never looked back. I love this ruler! It makes perfectly sized HST's 99% of the time with no trimming. (If the HST requires trimming, it's because I didn't cut it accurately!)


Here are some of the HST's I sewed this week for my latest Quilt Square Quilt Along block. FUN!


I must confess that I am a bit of a hoarder collector when it comes to HST's. I have bags and bags of these things...here are a few of my prized HST's in all sizes and colours. The potential for each of these bags is intoxicating! I found a lot of good HST design ideas at the Festival of Half Square Triangles. Maybe next year I should have an HST-UFO project each month?

9 comments:

Angie said...

I am also a fan of HSTs and the Easy Angle ruler. Nice to know I am not alone in my affection for this versatile block/block component!

Kate said...

I don't mind making half square triangles, even without a special ruler. I've tried thangles and would rather stitch them "free hand" so to speak. All your half squares look like little jewels.

Merilyn said...

I have to agree about these Easy Angle rulers, they are fantastic! I learned about them when I did a four day retreat many years ago with Kaye England! You're very organised to have them bagged up like that too!!!!

Jean said...

That is just fun waiting to happen!

Bonnie said...

I think it would be great if you led us in a "use your triangle" event over next year. Hum, maybe show blocks we could use. Maybe get some other bloggers to join in and post directions for using triangles in blocks... go for it!

AnnieO said...

You are a hoarder indeed!

Lots of my favorite blocks require HSTs but I have not tried Bonnie's ruler, though I have one. Hmm, where is that ruler, anyway?

I have a few baggies full of HSTs and two projects in progress with them but I just can't save all of them!

Kristy QP said...

Ooh will have to look into that ruler. I love the look of HSTs but I hate trimming them to size!

Ellen said...

I had inherited this ruler from my sister-in-law and I had no idea what to do with it until I started reading Bonnie Hunter's blog! It is a great tool.

Gayle said...

Could you please share the link with me that shows how to use this HST ruler? I haven't seen it before. And where can the rulers be purchased? Thanks!