Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mennonite Relief Quilt Auction

Yesterday was the Mennonite Relief Quilt Auction, which I attend every year (to see last year's report, click here). This year I petered out a bit earlier because it was soooo hot in the arena, or maybe because I am getting old?! There were many wonderful quilts for sale and I was sad that I didn't get to see them all, but I just wilted in the hot humid air :(
I did see the log cabin variation quilt sold, for which I donated a block  (see this blog post). My block is half hidden in this photo...on the left column in the middle. This quilt was sold for $650!
I also made a block for the
"Community Garden" quilt.
I don't have a good photo of this quilt, but the first one here shows the bottom right corner where my block is :) 
I can't find a blog post where I wrote about making this block, so maybe I forgot to? 
This is the block that I made for the "Community Garden", for which I drafted the paper piecing pattern, based on a block pattern on Quilter's Cache
My favorite part of the block was the little beaded yoyo's, which I added in the center because there was just too much yellow and open space. 



All of the gorgeous donated blocks were put on pointe, with either a green or a purple fabric on the corners. I thought the yellow piping before the purple border was a great touch. This quilt sold for $600!
Of course, the food is always a highlight for me! I got a big bag few tea balls, and may have also had a piece of strawberry pie.  I discovered a new (to me) treat this year called "Fleisch Piroschki" (pastry meat pockets). I just love trying new things and these were delicious!
The amount raised by the quilt auction was almost $130,000 this year! And one of the things I love about about this quilt auction is that 100% of the money  raised goes directly to world relief efforts. 

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds awesome - the work they do, glad a lot of money was raised.
Karen

Janet O. said...

I went to the link--this is quite the event! Gorgeous quilts, too. Good of you to participate.

Deb A said...

Love the quilt pictures and a great even raising lots of money. Love your purple/yellow and green block.

soscrappy said...

What a beautiful collection of quilts. The thought of all of the collective work that went into both quilts is amazing. It is wonderful that so much money got raised.

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

I miss the auction! I used to go when I lived in Waterloo - and then I even lived in New Hamburg for a bit! Love the strawberry pie. How great you were part of the quilts. Sorry it was too hot to enjoy the whole show. Thanks for the warm memories!