Monday, June 11, 2012

Design Wall #21 - Split Nine Patch

My UFO for June is on my design wall today. I wrote about this quilt last April (yes...2011!) in this blog post.
The pattern is called Nine Patch Split, and is from Bonnie Hunter's page of free patterns - click here.
Each block was made from fabric kits I cut out and distributed to volunteers in my quilt guild. I had to track down 2 of the missing blocks, and fix a couple of mistakes before I could continue to work on this project. I finally got the blocks sewed together, which went fairly well considering that these blocks were made by 12 different quilters, and everyone has their own version of a 1/4" seam.
My next step is to pick out and sew on some borders to increase the size for a comfort quilt. 
Check out the other design wall posting over at Patchwork Times.

15 comments:

scraphappy said...

Such a fun pattern, I can see why it became a UFO though, with all the challenges you have worked through. Are you going to do a nice cheddar border to match the HST triangles or a beautiful blue to calm it all down?

Judy D in WA said...

What a great group project. Isn't it amazing how these things turn into UFOs so fast! Can't wait to see what you do next.

AnnieO said...

12 different quilters' work and looking great! I like this Bonnie pattern too. Great for scraps, right?

Carrie P. said...

that quilt just sparkles. love how you used plaids.

Paula, the quilter said...

Gosh, I love that cheddar in there! And plaid, I'm in love with plaid lately.

Becky said...

The plaid blocks are awesome. Looking forward to seeing what kind of borders you add to this one. Thanks for sharing with us!

Mary said...

Looks like you used up some shirtings to make the block kits. Very cute pattern, from Bonnie how could it not be cute?

Kate said...

Very nice. The dash of orange really makes the quilt shine.

Sue Daurio said...

Oh Kathy that is beautiful. I love the colors with the tangerine. Just wonderful!

Vivian said...

The colors are fabulous in this quilt. Love the arrangement of the lights and the darks and the accent tangerine/orange/cheddar. Wonderful!

Janet O. said...

Oh, I love this quilt in plaids. Your color combo is wonderful--especially that spark of cheddar!

Khris said...

Fantastic...well done...and you have just got to love Bonnies scrappy quilts.
Hugs Khris

Helen in the UK said...

Reminds me that this pattern is on my 'want to make' list!! Congrats on getting it assembled when it comes from all different quilters. Looking great so far :)

Browndirtcottage said...

Work indeed, but it turned out quite nice!!

Pick any one of Bonnie's pattern and you are going to have a winner.....
and you do!!

Gari in AL said...

Great fabric choices. They make a very pleasing quilt and one that is suited for either a boy or girl. Good Job.