Monday, July 15, 2013

Design Wall Monday - Sampler sashing

The shop hop sampler quilt is still on the design wall but progress is being made! I really like block sampler quilts. They maybe aren't the most beautiful quilts to look at, but they sure are fun to sew. 

And I must admit that I love the scrappiness of this one :)

I finally decided on setting the blocks with a star sashing and have been busy sewing the sashing star points using four different gold prints. 


The top half of the quilt is sewn together, and I'm working on the bottom half. It is very close to being a finished top, with only one more border to add. However, there is not enough blue left to made that last border from the same fabric. 
What to do...buy more, or "make do"?!?!


While working on the star points, I have been sewing a second line on the squares...can you see it here?



I ended up with lots of tiny half square triangles, which told me that they wanted to become flying geese... so cute! I really don't feel like squaring them up, so they will be 'liberated' or 'loosy goosy' blocks! LOL
To see more design wall postings, hop over to Patchwork Times.

12 comments:

Jill said...

Sampler quilt looks good. Slow progress is still progress. I vote to buy more fabric to match up all borders. Or just a suggestion, you could have all borders scrappy.

Missy Shay said...

Too bad you could not use those flying geese for the last border! I love the print the border is making, do you have any blue that will work? My goal is always to not have to buy any material, if I can help it.

Lesley said...

I think your sampler quilt is gorgeous! I love making samplers because it keeps me from getting bored. Yours is beautiful! Love the sashing!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

A beautiful quilt Kathy.....I love your colors and the design is fantastic.

Janet O. said...

I love sampler block quilts, too, and the colors of this one are calling my name! : )
I admit, when faced with a situation like yours, I will buy more fabric if it is still available. If not, then I make do.
You know I love those tiny flying geese!!

Bonnie said...

The quilt is coming along beautifully. I think , in this case, I would buy more fabric. I wouldn't want a different fabric only in the last two rows. But it is a scrappy quilt so something close and spread out would do just fine.

Browndirtcottage said...

I am just always amazed at how prolific you are and how much you get done. You must have REALLY STRONG creative juices flowing....can I have a drink?? ha!

Mary said...

I like the varied star setting in the gold prints. Go for using what you have. If you can get more it would be nice, but using up the Stash is great.

Kindred Quilts said...

I love blue and gold together so I'm a big fan of the sashing, not to mention all the sampler blocks! It's scrappy, so if it were mine, I'd would use another blue fabric from my stash!

Ellen said...

It is a scrappy sampler quilt so if you have some similar fabric that you can make do - got for it!

I love the 'loosy goosy' flying geese - hee hee!

Chris said...

I love everything about your quilt. The colors are my favorites.

Kate said...

The blue and gold sashing really accents the sample blocks.