Tuesday, November 04, 2014

November UFO goal - RRCB



I really want to "clear the decks" before the new Bonnie Hunter mystery starts at the end of November. I am bound and determined to finish the Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll quilt top (aka "RRCB") which was the 2010 Quiltville mystery! My first job is completing the sewing of these seminole borders.

 I have sewn 4 long sections and a few smaller sections to fit together where needed. It's a fairly large quilt and I have not make this kind of border before. I think most of my hesitation about this border is that I'm afraid of the math and making them fit to the quilt top. But this month, "come hell or high water" this quilt top is getting done!
To see more finishing goals for this month, hop over to A Lovely Year of Finishes link up.

18 comments:

Karen said...

I like the color combo on this quilt. This is one of Bonnie's designs that I actually thought about making but never did anything towards that thought.

Kristin said...

You can do it!! :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

I agree - you CAN do this!!!!

Deanna W said...

Looking at the top pic. I think you might need a filler border to make the math work.I have a border book and they call them coping strips.
Good luck I know you can do it!!!

sunny said...

I'm your cheerleader. Rah Rah Rah, you can do it! Love the colors you chose, and I admire anyone who can finish a Bonnie Hunter pattern.

Mary said...

Here's hoping the corners come out right. Bonnie patterns usually do. Hope no High water or Hell come your way this month.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the colors

Needled Mom said...

That is quite the border. I am sure it will look great when it is finished.

Janet O. said...

I wish you well with this venture and I'm glad it is you and not me tackling it! : )

Nell's Quilts said...

You go Girl!!!!!!! You can do it. The Seminole border will really tie the colour scheme together and create a lovely polished quilt.

Cherie in St Louis said...

If you follow Deanna's advise about using coping strips, you'll have no trouble. Just piece the borders, then figure out what size your quilt top needs to be in order to fit them. Add coping strips to make your top that size and sew on the pieced borders. Then stand back and grin from ear to ear because you did it :)

Cathy said...

It will be a stunner when it is done and so very worth every minute.

Lesley said...

This quilt is going to be a stunner! There are sure a lot of pieces and they all fit together so well!

Dasha said...

I love Seminole borders. They aren't all that hard to do and look stunning. But I do agree, the maths is scary sometimes.

AnnieO said...

It's worth the little bit of fear--such a gorgeous colorway! Best of luck :)

Andee said...

It is a beauty, you can do it!

margaret said...

best of luck with the seminole strips they are so effective and I am sure you will achieve a beautiful finish

Chantal said...

Go Kathy! Go Kathy! Gooooooo KATHY!!!! :)