Thursday, December 10, 2015

Christmas Machine Quilting

A friend asked me if I could do some machine quilting for a Christmas gift for her daughter. How could I resist? 



The quilt is a wonderful scrappy rail fence using purple, blue and teal scraps (hmmm... sounds just like my Starburst quilt colour palette!)




It's a fairly large quilt, so in order to finish it quickly, I quilted an easy wavy line following the general direction of the rails. Can you see the quilting lines on the lilac backing?





I used a new (to me) type of eucalyptus batting.  Have you made a quilt with this kind of batting before? Promotional materials say this batting is needle punched (no fibre migration), chemical free with no glues or resins, and hypo-allergenic.
It really was lovely to machine quilt, and I am wondering how it will wash and hold up over the years.  

My friend Jackie fixed my scissor fob that was accidentally cut while wrapping Christmas gifts last year. She also made a scissor holder that has PAPER embroidered on it, so the kids should be able to clearly identify which scissors are for cutting wrapping paper. And these lovely purple scissors which are only in the holder for the photo, and have the beaded fob with TAMS (acronym for "These Are My Scissors") will be hidden in my sewing room!

11 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm allergic to eucalyptus. The scent of the leaves really mess with me (I worked in a place that made potpourri, and they used lots of eucalyptus). It was so bad, that I had to quit that job. Good luck with the batting.

pcflamingo said...

I do a similar type of quilting as your wavy line. It's #4 on my Bernina, elongated, and I do it along the seam line and I call it "stitching in the vicinity of the ditch" and goes zoomy fast. It's what I use on all my charity quilts and it helps hold them together for the multiple washings they will get. Looks nice, too, if I do say so myself :D.

Barbara said...

Pretty quilting. That's a good idea using the wavy line.

Ellen said...

You are a good friend and it seems that Jackie is too!

Mary said...

Love the accronym TAMS. Nobody to try and use my sewing scissors here. My junk drawer has all the old cheap paper scissors that anyone would ever need.
You're so nice to quilt for a friend. My list keeps getting waylaid so I barely have time to finish my own projects.

Deb A said...

Love the new header! Glad the fob is all fixed. Hope they are hidden well and no one uses them for paper! Your friends quilt is very pretty - love the colors.

Mystic Quilter said...

Good idea for your quilting here and I had no idea that there was a Eucalyptus batting so thanks for telling us about this one.

Janet O. said...

Clever quilting of the rails. I have never heard of Eucalyptus batting. You'd think it would smell good!
Fun new header photo. : )

margaret said...

colours work so well together in this quilt as dos the quilting, all very nice

Stephie said...

Not heard of that batting, although I've seen bamboo batting before - I wonder if it's similar? Great quilting design - that's incredibly kind of you! LOVE your scissor pouch, what a brilliant idea! Might have to make one for my new scissors now :D

Kate said...

You've been busy. I've never tried the Eucalyptus batting, though I have tried the bamboo. It worked out fine for the project it was used in.