Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Scrap Squad - Candy Cane Show

I wrote yesterday that my Scrap Squad quilt has been posted over at the Quiltmaker blog. Click here to read more about the quilt.
Four of the six of us on the Scrap Squad wanted to make the Candy Cane Crush because it's such a great pattern. It is so interesting to see the various versions, and so for your viewing pleasure, here they are side by side (or top to bottom)...



The original design from the November/December issue of the magazine is called "Candy Cane Crush". The pattern is by Sandra Clemons and was made in red and white. 













Julie from Idaho made her queen sized version of the quilt in gorgeous purple fabrics and called it "Violets". She also made a piano key border that beautifully frames the design. You can read all about it here.








Keri from Arizona made her scrappy version of Candy Cane Crush using the quilt-as-you-go technique. She added red sashings to match the border. You can read more about how she made her quilt here










Donna from Pennsylvania started with the red and white colours and made the most intensely pieced scrappy quilt ever! Even her background pieces were scrappy so the total number of 1.5" squares cut and sewn is 6,699! Can you believe it?!? You can read more about her quilt here.




My version of the quilt has the blocks set on point so it looks a little different, but you can tell these quilts are all related. They are quilty cousins, made from the same genetic material/pattern, and reconfigured in unique ways! If I was independently wealthy, I'd fly all these quilted cousins (and their creators) to somewhere wonderful and we would meet in person and see each other's quilts in real life instead of on computers in blog land.

I have loved being part of the 2015 Scrap Squad and will be so sad when it's over. We have one more quilt to make for the beginning of 2016, and for our last project we can pick any Quiltmaker pattern we want. That's a lot of choice and a bit overwhelming. 

13 comments:

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

All gorgeous quilts, but I do love the colors you choose for yours!

Ivani said...

All the cousin quilts are wonderful and unique in its particularities. Love them all.

Deanna W said...

Your year is up already ...boy that went by quickly! They are all wonderful.
I love scrap quilts!!

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing all of these quilts in one spot. I just love seeing all the options you can take from one pattern.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

How lovely to see them all together - shows how each quilter can make a pattern their own.

Aunt 'Reen said...

All of these Candy Cane Crush quilts are gorgeous!
So fun to see all these versions together.
Thanks for sharing!

Janet O. said...

Each version has something about it that I love, but I am worried about Donna. Did she get any time for sleep or meals while she made hers? My word, that would have taken me years, but since it is only two colors I would have gone crazy before I finished it anyway. : )

Ellen said...

All of these quilts are beautiful - thanks for sharing them!

Julie said...

I love how you put all four of them together on your blog! This has been such a fun experience and hey I would pay my own way to come meet up and have the cousin quilts meet! I love your on point version.

cspoonquilt said...

those are all really lovely quilts! congrates to the makers! cheers!

Karen said...

Each quilt has such a different look. Hard to pick a favorite. Your year doing the Scrap Squad has been very interesting to follow.

Stephie said...

Wow, Donna's quilt is definitely a labour of love! It's beautiful and will surely be treasured. I really love your on-point layout Kathy, it makes it look so different. Your colours are a real treat too, so summery :)

Kate said...

It's always interesting to see how different quilters interpret a pattern. I miss that the most about taking classes. My favorite part was seeing how different fabrics worked.